Monday, August 1, 2011

Better Cowgirls

My girls rode horses bareback and I hauled cattle in the trailer today...we're becoming better all-around cowgirls all the time now! We hauled cattle to Rushers 4R Ranch, less than 5 miles down the road, to get our show cow's hooves trimmed before taking her to Clark County Fair this week, her first show of the year. The hoof trimmer was out to Rushers to trim their show cattles' hooves, so it was nice to be able to haul her down there. When he is already set up at a farm to do hooves and we haul our cow to him, it only cost us $15.00 for the one cow.

So, for about 30 minutes last night, Jim taught me how to hitch, haul and back the truck and trailer, because I have been asking him to teach me. I backed the trailer in close to the cattle gates at the barn, loaded the calf first and then the cow; loading was easy. When we got to Rushers, unloaded the cow and calf and tied them while the trimmer was working on Rushers' bull, Sourpatch. Mike (Rusher) liked our heifer calf, and said he thinks she'll win a lot for us yet this year. He also must have been impressed with Morgan and Jess because he said he ought to hire the to halter break calves for him at weaning.

In the meantime, the four kids (my 3 and niece, Morgan) had fun exploring the big barn, looking at the show cattle, horses, hay loft, etc. First thing Catherine looks for is a gray barn cat that she apparently remembered from when we were there last on sale day, when we bought the steer. I never heard if she found it. Andrew likes looking at their equipment, especially the quads,

Mike made the older girls' day when he asked them if they wanted to ride the horses in their paddocks. I was impressed how they hopped on and just rode bareback with a lead rope tied around like a bridle. They climbed the fence to hop on and took turns switching between the two horses. There was 'the horse that wouldn't go' and 'the old rodeo cow horse' that would take off at the slightest kick of the boot. I bet you can guess which one the girls liked to ride best. Yep, the one with more 'giddy-up'. Catherine and Andrew came over and watched atop the fences, and Catie took a turn being led around for about a minute. She didn't like bareback riding and was scared she was going to fall. Andrew hopped on 'the horse that wouldn't go' and got off when the ride wasn't happenin'.

We were there for 1 1/2 to 2 hours and it was a fun visit at the ranch. Mike helped us load the cattle and backed the trailer for me when we left {because he offered, otherwise I'm sure I would have... :)}, we hauled home, and then I backed it into the barn at home rather quickly if I do say so. I got the trailer into the driveway by the orchard on the first try and then straightened it out, which I don't even remember Jim doing. Just saying. I maybe have to admit he was a good teacher, but I did much better today with out his 'coaching' and stressing me out.

When we unloaded, I washed out the trailer while the girls washed Quizz. Later tonight, we are going to clip her for show. After the girls scrubbed the calf's hooves, I noticed that they need trimmed, too. I got out a hammer and chisel and shaped them up. They look really good now. I can't wait to clip her up tonight. She'll look really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment