Friday, July 8, 2011

Top Honors at the Fair

This week my niece showed her goats at the Marion County Fair in Salem. We watched her show yesterday {and Jess spent the night to be there for her shows today} and here are the results:
  • 2nd place 4-H market goat in heavyweight class, showed in reserve championship drive
  • Champion Junior 4-H Goat Showman
  • Reserve Champion Overall 4-H Goat Showman
  • Supreme Champion Boer Goat Female
  • Champion Junior 4-H Round Robin Showman
Her haul included not one, but TWO , of the most coveted prize in livestock showing--BELT BUCKLES!!! 4 giant rosettes, 1 trophy, and a bag!!!

All that, and it is only her 2nd year showing in 4-H, and her final year as a junior showman. That is quite a fair for a junior showman!!!

The backstory on this young lady is what makes today so sweet. Morgan has shown an extreme interest in animals since she was a little girl. Similar to me, she fell in love with horses, but when she couldn't get horses she found an animal she could show that she was interested in. I also won showmanship my 2nd year in 4-H, and went on to make a name for myself in our county for showing cattle and sheep. Morgan has done just that at her fair this year, and I am so excited for her.  I have to say though, I don't think I ever loved animals as much or worked as many hours at my projects as Morgan does on her own. My parents helped me a lot at that age, and I don't remember coming home from school and running out to the barn to spend hours working with my cattle. But, that is what Morgan does with her goats. It is neat to see her passion and how she devotes herself to her animals. She definitely deserves to win.

I can see I am going to need to devote a label for my references to Morgan, who is definitely a 'cowgirl' at heart, but I will call her 'goat girl'.



1 comment:

  1. That girl is so cool! :) Stripes helped alot! The biting, kicking, butting doe she used to be is gone, and is now a winning showmanship animal! Thanks Stripey, God blessed me with you!

    ReplyDelete